You Sure You Wanna Come In?

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Sunday, December 30, 2007

I'm nearly awake. Nearly.

So Jesse asked me one day, “How was your 2007?”

And at that moment in time I didn’t have the mood to write out a full length essay for him or anything of the sort, so I just came up with a miserable four sentences or something.

Well, looks like I do now.

So, how was my 2007?

Like many others would say, this year has simply whizzed by me. In some ways, that is good, and in others, not so.

At the end of it all, I’m relieved that certain things have ended quickly, like preparation for SPM and all the pressure that came along with it. I mean, honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever studied harder than I ever have done before. Then again, there are things which I wish just didn’t pass in such a short time, or didn’t ever end, like the three MPYO camps as well as the end year tour.

Over the past year, I’ve become more mature, to mention a few instances, I’ve learned to control myself a little better when it really matters and have also learned to appreciate things in general. Besides, I’ve also realized several other aspects of life, such as friendship bonds that are bound to either strengthen or bend, not necessarily break.

It must have been either late last year or early this year, I made one of the bravest decisions I’ve ever had to make. It was hard, and sometimes I look back and wonder as to why I made that decision. I quit the band Rosewood. I won’t state the reason here, cause that would take another hour of your time or more, plus I probably wouldn’t even want to publish it, as it would only be for my personal read. To keep a long story and explanation short, I did it for personal reasons. And I still wonder whether I disappointed my bandmates Adrian, Nigel and Syabil. I still wonder whether it did them and/or me any good. Trouble is, what’s done is done and there are no regrets.

Since 2007 was SPM year, it was inevitable for me to miss out on some things, like several movies which I had been dying to watch. The most notable thing I missed out on this year was probably my prom. While everyone was busy camwhoring and just enjoying each other’s company in that luxurious ballroom of sorts in Ritz Carlton, I was busy doing something that has completely changed my life. Seriously. It was the 13th of December, and I was performing in the final concert of the inaugural tour of the MPYO.

Somewhat MPYO has made me wake up to my senses and find my true calling. Truth is, when people used to ask me what I was going to do in the future, I could never give them a proper answer, all the time just giving the standard “See first la” or “Not too sure yet”. Now however, at least I have something to aim for – a degree in music. Some may say I’m a fool, some may encourage me to go for it, but whatever it is, I’m going for it. There’s no certainty to whether I can get in to the Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music but I’m gonna do what it takes.

And that’s where MPYO came in, really. Ever since the first camp in March, my whole mindset took a huge turn. Before that, I was pretty much only into mainly modern stuff, and I was doing my exams for the sake of it. But ever since March, I became used to classical music in a sense that, I appreciated it more. Of course, now I still admit I’m still not too knowledgeable when it comes to classical, but I’ve definitely been exposed to more of it. As a result, I kind of put my songwriting on hold – which included songs which fall in the category of ‘less-mainstream sounding, not your average radio music’. But that surely can wait, right? Plus, after the camp, I upped my game and since then felt myself improve in terms of playing. Even my teacher noticed it. The bonus of being involved in the MPYO is I was fortunate enough to meet many new people of different types, really.

So I did miss out on prom. So I did miss out on the after party. But I sacrificed that for something I find to be more valuable to me at this stage in life. We’re at the crossroads, guys. This is where you make it or break it. Well, not really. But to a certain extent, yes. For SPM leavers, this is a pretty crucial period.

Oh, and I finally managed to watch Manchester United lift the Premiership crown after years. I still remember the first season when I decided they were my favourite team. It wasn’t the treble year, it was the year Arsenal won the title. That proved I didn’t support MU simply because they were winners. After years of watching them playing sublime football and not winning the coveted prize, I was so glad when Arsenal drew Chelsea in that vital game which ultimately gave United the win.

This year was the year of applying for scholarships too. I had never applied for a scholarship before, but this time around I was given a condition which required a scholarship – if not, no college for me. Fine, I admit, I was quite desperate for one and I went all out to get it. Luckily, my hard work paid off and with that, I’m entering HELP University College next week to do A Levels under partial scholarship. It’s not much, but at least it’s something, right? Oh, and I doubt I’m doing any science subjects. YES. FINALLY.

All in all, 2007 has had its ups and downs, just like every other year. God I sound so cliche. Will this year be a turning point in my life? Will it be in yours?

I think so. Every year is. It’s just the way whether you decide it to be.

3 comments:

zweeho said...

AS USUAL STILL FCUKING EMO. all words, no pictures. yup, thats jebat

oXYmoroN© said...

Lol, i think that was the same year i started supporting Man Utd as well... And before I joined MPYO, i knew nuts about classical music, so you're not alone.

Jebat said...

What's wrong with no pictures? I just don't do what everyone else does, that's all.

Yeah well at least we're better off now.