You Sure You Wanna Come In?

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Compile.

My audition is in three days.




DEEP BREATH.

***
I just realised something last night. In 2008 alone, I had not one, not two, not three, but FOUR different music teachers. Three Europeans, one Chinese. It sure was a topsy-turvy year of indecision, anxiety and what not. But at the end of it all, I dare say I've landed in a spot where I'm most comfortable.

Having a lesson with each different teacher was a unique experience altogether. From each, I learned something technically or expressively different. Gosh I'm finding this so hard to explain. Bottom line is, I managed to improve my playing in various ways according to the teacher I was having a lesson with.

For example, one teacher helped me improve my general intonation and sound. Another helped improve the flexibility of the right hand and fingers. Then I also improved in the area of bow efficiency and usage. Lastly, the sub-conscious lifting of fingers which I picked up from another teacher helped improve my left hand passages.

Sure, I'm not perfect and never will be, but in the past year I myself am aware that I have gone a few notches up in terms of quality of individual playing, let alone ensemble.

Let's just hope that the many different things I have learnt from different teachers will carry on in the foreseeable future.

***

The Star Review no. 3 is out HERE.

4 comments:

AF said...

All the best for the audition!

Jacky said...

Are you auditioning viola or violin for the AYO?

Jebat said...

andrew - thanks!

jacky - viola. i don't play violin anymore. well, that's exaggerating it a bit but yeah i changed my major instrument some time ago.

Jacky said...

So do you take lessons with a professional viola teacher now? May I know who? Goodluck in your audition. =)